Odie Hawkins…Biography / Resume
Odie Hawkins has been given the title, “The Underground Master”, by a loyal constituency who have followed his career through his twenty four novels, short story collections, essays, television scripts, radio and film scripts. He takes pride in being the originator of the Pan-African Occult genre, as exemplified by “The Snake” and “Shackles Across Time”.
He was one of the original members of the famed Watts Writers Workshop, established by Budd Schulberg, in the wake of the Watts Rebellion, 1965; and the Open Door Program, created by theWriters Guild of America, West, Inc. Louise Meriwether, John W. Bloch, Al Jenner, Robert Lewin, Harlan Ellison and Budd Schulberg, instructors. “Ghetto Sketches”, his first published novel — on the required reading list – May 2010 – Professor Justin Gifford. University of Nevada, Reno. Department of English. Mr. Hawkins has recently published books of Socio-sciencefiction: Mr. Bonobo Bliss and Lady Bliss (with co-author Ralph Vernon).
- The Urban Gourmet Cookbook
- Palm Wine Junction
- The Likka Sto Ruffus Chronicles
- A Two Man Performance Of Works By Odie Hawkins With Tim Hutchinson
- An E-mail Fantasy – An imaginary exchange between Clarenc Cain/Herman Thomas
- Hollow Daze – The Holloway House Publishing Company Story
- The Six Word Short Story Collection
- Deafness Anyone? – Audio-logical Suicide
- Senior Citizens Suicide Squad (A Play)
- A Brief History of American Pedophilia, Slavery and the Catholic Church
- Pan-African Music For Pre-Teens
- A collection of Pan African short stories for adults, based on the seven (7) Kwanzaa principles.
- “Electronic Slavery”, a novel
- “The Video Store”, a novelette
- “A Valentine to Long Beach”, kudos for our acceptance of cultural, religious and racial diversity
- Jorge Hinojosa’s Documentary: “Iceberg Slim’s Portrait of a Pimp”, Toronto International Film Festival
- Prof, Justin Gifford’s Temple Univ., study: “Pimping Fictions: African American Crime Literature and the Untold Story of Black Pulp Publishing” – University of Nevada – Reno
- “Sweet Wine Willie” in “The Likka Sto Ruffus Chronicles” – [Ben Caldwell’s KAOS Network, L.A., CA, Shades of Afrika, Long Beach & Corona, CA; Glen Cornis’s Painted Light Images, Burbank, CA.]
- Appearances (with actor Tim Hutchinson) on Bozana “Bo” Belokosa’s internet/community television program – “Spending a Little Time with Poetry” – July 21, 2012 and upcoming Jan. 26, 2013. . . .
NOVELS – Release Date 2013/2014
- “Matador Negro ‘Azucar’”
- “Sweet Peter Deeder”
- “In This Corner”
- “Kwanzaa For Conrad”
- “Snake Doctor”
- “The Urban Gourmet Cookbook”
- “Black and Brown On The Blue Line”
- “Lil’ Sweets”
- “Characters I’ve Known“
- “DuSable High School Reunion”
- “Shades of Afrika Writing Workshop”
|SCREENPLAYS / OPTIONS:
- Craig Ali’s “Daughter’s and Sons of Bilal”
- Pan African Film Festival, Magic Johnson Cinema – “Familiar Strangers” –
[Produced by Craig A. Walter, Directed by Sy Richardson]
- “Bright Moments”
- “Henry ‘Box’ Brown”
- “Ghetto Blaster”
- Universal Studios – “Elis Games”, “Cool Breeze” , and“Sister Woman”
- American International Pictures: “The Ghetto Jet Set”,“Monkey Hustle”
- “Sanford and Son” / NAACP Image Award for “Old Sister”
- Haley-Lear’s “Palmerstown” series. [Received NAACP Image Award]
|COLUMNIST / MAGAZINES / INTERNET:
- Interview by Rhonda Crowder – Call and Post Newspapers in Cleveland, Ohio
- Amazon.com: Amazon’s Odie Hawkins Page
- Latin Beat Magazine – “Chano Pozo Lives” [firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Carib Press
- Iconoclast #98 – “Elefant Nation”
- Players’s Magazine – “Mi Ba – I’m Coming” ; “Return to Ghana”
- Presence Africain
- L.A. Weekly
- Outlook Magazine
- L.A. Watts Times
- Columnist – African Times Newspaper – C. Charles Anyiam, Publisher
- Columnist for Three Ghanaian Newspapers, Accra, Ghana, West Africa: The Public Agenda, Horizon, and the Ghanaian Voice
|WORK / TEACHING:
- Instructor, writing workshop – L.A. County Library, Bilbrew Branch, L.A., California
- Instructor, writing workshops “Shades of Afrika”, “Timbuc II”, Long Beach, California
- Creative writing workshop leader – Watts, CA. & Long Beach, CA.
- Co-Founder/Senior Editor – Kosmic Muffin Publishing House, Inc.
- Watts Writing Workshops – Los Angeles, Long Beach and Pasadena – Executive Director, Talmadge Spratt
- Instructor, Poets in the Schools Program – The 111th Street School, Audubon Middle School, Locke High School and Fremont High School, South Central – Los Angeles, California.
- Director / Instructor, The Frances Williams Writers Workshop, Los Angeles, California
- Instructor, The San Bernardino and Altadena branches of the Watts Writers Workshop – Altadena, California
- Instructor, Developmental Vocational Institute, Deuel, California 14th Street Academy of the Arts, Oakland, California
- Instructor – Artsreach Program, U.C.L.A. / Creative writing classes at Chino Prison, San Quentin Prison – California
| SEARS RADIO THEATRE:
Purchase on the Internet – Jerry Haendiges Productions –www.OTRSite.com. & other Old Time Radio sites.
- Fifty radio scripts for the Sears Radio Theatre, Elliot Lewis, Executive Producer
- A Sense Of Pride
- Vodoo Lady
- The Afro Westerner
- Mr. Chan
- Billy D. Burton
- Henry “Box” Brown
- (Additional Titles Upon Request)
BOOK – GENRES/GROUPINGS
- “Ghetto Sketches”
- “The Busting Out of an Ordinary Man”
- “Amazing Grace”
- “Black Chicago”
- “Secret Music”
- “Lost Angeles”
- “Chicago Hustle”
- “The Great Lawd Buddha”
- “Memoirs of a Black Casanova”
- “Sweet Peter Deeder”
- “Scars and Memories”
- “Lil’ Sweets”
- “The Snake Doctor”
- “Matador Negro ‘Azucar’”
- “The Life and Times of Chester L. Simmons”
- “Shackles Across Time”
- “Brazilian Nights”
- “The Snake”
Socio-Science Fiction / Outer Space Missions
- “Lady Bliss”
- “Mr. Bonobo Bliss aka Bo”
- Los Angeles County Public Library – Black Resource Center, Los Angeles, CA.
- Civic Virtue: Watts Here & Now Festival – Poet Laureate Program. [The festival was organized by the Getty Research Institute and LA><ART, support provided by the Getty Foundation]
- Black Ace Books Annual Los Angeles Vintage Paperback Collector’s Show, Mission Hills, CA.
- Long Beach Library Black Authors Festival, Main Library/Mark Twain Library, Long Beach, CA.
- Lucy Florence Coffee House , Leimert Park Village, L.A., CA
- Cafe Culture , Pasadena, CA.
- Shades of Afrika II, Long Beach, CA. & Corona, CA.
- Café con Libros, Pomona’s Art Colony, Pomona, CA.
- Southern California Drug Task Force, Los Angeles, CA.
- Village Treasures, Long Beach, CA.
- Hosted KPFK / Berkeley, CA. – Radio Show, “Melanin Magic”.
- Long Beach Library Black Authors Festival – Long Beach Honors Black Authors of Long Beach, Long Beach, CA.
- The Watts Writers Workshop Award, awarded by “Still Waters”, Inglewood, CA.
- Award for Outstanding Volunteerism, from Membership Director & Health & Wellness Director, YMCA Long Beach, CA (2008/2009)
- Capoeira Award From Thy Nguyen, Program Director, YMCA, Long Beach, CA
- SEAP ACADEMICIAN (1998)
- YOUNG HORIZONS (2002)
- SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA DRUG TASK FORCE (2/26/02)
- The International P.E.N. Writers’ Award, Accra, Ghana
|GHANA, WEST AFRICA:
- Originator-Director-Writer – Ghanaian Television:“Inspector Bediako”, detective series, Kojo Yankah, Executive Producer
- Instructor: Creative writing: Accra Girls Secondary School
- Instructor: Ghana Institute of Journalism
- Instructor: Ghana International School
- Columnist: “The Public Agenda”
- Drama Critic:“Horizon and Ghanaiian Voice” newspapers
- Freelance contributor to – “Uhuru” and “African Agenda”,bi-monthly magazines
- Instructor: Capoeira Regional at the Fitness Centre in Accra
- Wilson Junior College, Chicago, Illinois
- University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- Army, Fort Gordon, Georgia
- Paine College, Augusta, Georgia
- Graduate/DuSable High School, Chicago, Illinois
|MARTIAL ARTS EXPERIENCE:
- Tai Chi Fan, Instructors Master Tam, Zola Salena-Hawkins and Daniel Hoover (T’ai chi ch’uan-style)
- Tai Chi 24 Yang Style, Instructors Master Tam, Zola Salena-Hawkins and Daniel Hoover
- Shaolin Cane, Instructor, Zola Salena-Hawkins
- Study of Hapkido, a Korean Martial-art
– Masters: Jun Bai Lee and Won Chan Lee
- Black Belt – Tae Kwon Do, a Korean Martial-art
– Masters: Yong Kil Kim and Raymond Da Silva
- Capoeira Regional – African-Brazilian dance-martial art Instructor: Henrique Do Nascimento
- Capoeira Angola – African-Brazilian dance-martial art
- Contre-Mestre: Themba Mashama and Mestre Moraes
P. O. BOX 2896
LONG BEACH, CA. 90801-2896